About Me

My photo
Antwerpen, Belgium
I'm a New Zealander living in Belgium for 6 months

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Master of the Trains

25 Feb 2010
Today I had to sign for my residency permit, which essentially allows me multiple entry into Belgium. Had to get that fairly urgently because Dirk and Terry (the couple who are hosting me) have already planned a trip to Lisbon. I'm really looking forward to it - I think it's planned for early March, which means a couple of days off work. After I'd given my signature to the crowds of fans I've collected here in Belgium (yeah right), I left for work. Only got there at 10.30 and felt bad as it was quite a bit later than I had told them it would be. Oh well. I'm here now and that's what counts. (I hope they see it similarly...) Bert and I went out for lunch and coffee which was really good, especially since it was the first thing I'd eaten all day. ( I usually don't eat breakfast because I never get up in time - imagine that, someone too lazy to eat! Ahh it's all a downward spiral from there isn't it...)

So I've got about 4 more hours of work left... hmmm.... What to do, what to do... More blogging? *The crowd screams in protest* More blogging it is then hehehe...


I know it's still early days here, but waking up early and going to work and pretty much doing my own thing (even when I manage to make a complete mess of things) is pretty liberating. Feeling very independent at the moment. I mean hell, maybe it's more of an illusion right now but if it is then it's a strangely satisfying one.

Bert has invited me to go out with him and some of the others for a drink after work so it looks like I'll be catching a later train again. I'll let you know just how badly I manage to mess that up. I must be the only person in Belgium who seriously struggles with the public transport here, although a few of the other volunteers confessed thy hadn't found it all that easy either. I guess it's an experience thing. I mean public transport in South Africa was pretty much out of the question (safety issues) and we only ever really use the bus system in NZ so I as I've indicated, I'm not exactly a train pro... Maybe that should be my mission while I'm here. Nevermind learning Dutch and integrating, just become "James Anderson: Train Catcher Extaordinaire" hmmm maybe something slightly more masculine (but not by much) "James Anderson: Master of the Trains" ... yes perhaps slightly better. Okay so maybe I have to work on my grand title a little.

Okay well I should probably find something useful to do *the crowds cheer* so I'm off for now. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment