About Me

My photo
Antwerpen, Belgium
I'm a New Zealander living in Belgium for 6 months

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sick Weekend

17 march 2010

Ok, firstly I've been sick, which is why I've been neglecting the blog over the last 2 days. So forgive me - or thank me, whichever you deem appropriate.

Right. Lets talk (really I mean monologue) about the weekend. On friday night I did end up going out with Valerie, Monica and Onur. The night was quite an ordeal all things considered. We met at 8.30ish at Antwerpen Centraal, then ill fatedly attempted to make our way to the hostel to drop off our stuff before the party. Naturally we purchased some really bad vodka plus some red bull along the way. I mean, goes without saying doesn't it? We caught a tram recommended by a security gaurd and when we got to our stop, asked further directions. We were told to go straight and then turn left and follow the highway. Like normal people, we thought "hey, lets not die" and so continued past the highway. That was our first mistake. Turns out that the dodgy looking park, with lots of dark places for an assortment of criminals to remain hidden in, contained a small meandering path we were meant to take. Incidentally, this path ran roughly along the highway. Oblivious to this, we forged on stoically in the wrong direction. To summarise the next hour or so, we flapped, fluffled and otherwise blundered time and time again. We asked directions but no one really knew anything about our mysterious hostel. Eventually we found the coolest taxi driver in the world. He tried calling us another cab (he was supposedly unavailable) but said they would take some time to get there. So he said he'd just drive us there - it was about a 10 min fast paced drive and he didn't even turn the meter on, even after we mentioned it. He charged us a grand total of 1€. I tried to give him more as a tip, because honestly this guy saved us, but he wouldn't take it no matter how much I insisted.

Having said that, anyone who's seen the movie Hostel, would initially be a little weary about shooting down the road in a Taxi who mysteriously isn't charging you, taking you to a HOSTEL that mysteriously no one seems to have heard about... There were most definately moments when I casually wondered whether I was being taken to have my organs ... redistributed. Regardless, I'm fairly sure I still have all the essential body parts, so at least if they did steal something they were considerate about it. Then again I did get pretty sick within the next 2 days so maybe they didn't do such a great job. I live on for now. Die another day etc etc.

Midway through explaining my epic fri night saga I had to go help out with the dishes (at work, which means it needs to be done for coffee = good cause).

Once we eventually arrived at the hostel, we had some drinks and set off for our night. Nothing too crazy happened, drinking, parties, bars, the usual kind of thing. So for a change I'm not going to go into detail. *Shock* Enjoy it while it lasts.

Dutch lesson again today, for better or worse. Which somehow reminds me. It's St Patricks Day. Which somehow leads everyone into claiming even the most stretched blood relation to Ireland. The Irish, of course, have even more reason to drink (Because you need a reason to drink right? Right??). All of this inevitably ends in a gutter in the early hours of the morning. Perhaps I'm just being cynical. The funny thing is, despite my views, I still I wish I was entirely healthy so I could fully do the St Patricks thing. Gutter and all. Thus the great cycle of humanity churns ever onwards towards the great abyss of predictable yet unavoidable self destruction.

Happy St Patricks Day everyone! :D

To very quickly detail my weekend after friday night... On saturday we walked around Antwerpen for a bit, I went back to Turnhout and had a quiet night watching the Sopranos - Dirk and Terry were in Germany for a family thing. The next morning I woke up really sick and stayed in bed all day, had a fever and loads of other pleasant stuff, but I'll spare you the gory details. Pretty much the same on monday, although was slightly better, tues I was getting better and now here I am. Not fully recovered but getting there.

Back to work for me, so I'll be back here tomorrow. A pleasant day to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment